Monday, March 12, 2012

I am a survivor

I am not a victim... I am a survivor.  What is the difference?

A victim is defined as a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency or a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency.

A survivor is defined as a person who contiunues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.

I am a survivor because my mom believed me.  I am a survivor because my family loves and supports me.  I am a survivor because of the therapy I received throughout high school.  I am a survivor because I forgave my dad - not for him but for me.  I am a survivor because I can talk about my story without shame or guilt.

For those of you that suffer in silence please know that you are not alone.

 

 

 

1 comment: